The STREAMS Field Processor (FP) is a ruggedized computer designed for use in a suitable roadside enclosure. The FP is designed as part of the STREAMS system to provide local processing and control of ﬁeld devices - it is not sold as a stand-alone device. The standard FP is a DIN rail-mounted model. Speciﬁc housing needs (e.g. rack mounted) are available.
The FP architecture uses a service-device driver model and supports multiple services connecting to multiple, diﬀerent devices, including those from diﬀerent manufacturers. Field Processor to server communications over an IP-based ﬁeld network uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for security.
Secure logon facilities are provided through certiﬁcate-based technology. Software maintenance and upgrades are generally carried out over the ﬁeld network to which the FP is connected. The FP conﬁguration is kept on the server so units can be replaced without performing site-speciﬁc conﬁguration.
BeneﬁtsLocal processing power at the site of ﬁeld devices allows:
- a high level of autonomy in the ﬁeld
- reduced load on the wide area network (WAN)
- removes the real time dependency on communications between STREAMS and ITS devices.
- From the FP, all communications are secured by PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) using SSL with certiﬁcate-based authentication, providing increased security both for the ﬁeld devices and for the ITS Applications Servers
- Use of Linux on the FP keeps licensing costs to a minimum and gives developers a high degree of control over the application
- Local scripting capability.